Wednesday, June 17, 2009

'Indians Are Privately Smart And Publicly Dumb'

  • tags: India, Intellactual

    • 12 canons of "Indian-ness."
    • "low trustworthiness."
    • Privately, Indians are reasonably smart - in fact, we are as smart as anybody else - but publicly we are dumb.
    • The prisoner's dilemma
    • Our situation is such that we believe that if we do not cooperate, we benefit more. We put ourselves in the other person's situation: We ask, if he does not cooperate, why should I? If he cooperates, it may still be in my interest not to cooperate, because I benefit by not cooperating. 
    • The prisoner's dilemma also explains why Indian companies often fail in joint ventures. We tend to be over-argumentative and often look out for our own narrow advantage rather than trying to make the venture succeed.
    • If I have to see two moves ahead, I may do just fine, but if I have to see 10 moves ahead, I may not. Public interest is like seeing 10 moves ahead, while seeking out private advantage is like seeing two moves ahead.
    • "tit-for-tat" strategy.
    • Essentially, I keep cooperating in every interaction until you defect. In the following interaction, I too defect, remembering our last interaction. Now it is up to you to decide whether to cooperate or not. If you cooperate, I go back to cooperating as well.
    • "massive retaliator,"
    • The tit-for-tat strategy does not have a long memory. It is forgiving. It is a good strategy in the sense that it is never the first one to defect, but at the same time it retaliates against defectors.
    • I show in the book that the tit-for-tat strategy never wins against any one individual.
    • and so I call this the "gentleman's strategy."
    • random-defect strategy
    • the example of the TVS Group
    • When the war ended, however, the traders who had profiteered from the shortage went out of business one after another; today no one remembers those companies. But the TVS Group survived, and it continues to be recognized as a valuable company.
    • better corporate governance,
    • self-regulation is molded by regulation
    • As I said above, we are like lightning chess players and a little too quick to see where our immediate self-interest lies. When we think we can get away with something and the probability of getting caught is low, we tend to do whatever we want to do.
    • I realized that the Gita has a lot of things which help resolve the prisoner's dilemma readily. For example, if you do your dharma [duty] towards humanity, the level of cooperation could be much higher.
    • As India's economy improves and education spreads, I hope defection will be replaced by cooperation.

Posted from Diigo. The rest of my favorite links are here.