Friday, April 15, 2011

WHY I AM A HINDU

WHY I AM A HINDU: "

I was a born and brought-up as a catholic and knew absolutely nothing about India, Hinduism and Hindus. When I was a young Frenchman of 19, I had the privilege to hear about the Mother and Sri Aurobindo, through a friend, whose father was the last Governor of Pondichery. My friend told me that a caravan of 5 cars was about to drive from Paris to Pondichery. On a hunch, I joined this caravan.

.....................................

Thus slowly, I became acquainted with the eternal principles of Hinduism:

• A Hindu is one who searches for the Ultimate Truth.

• Unlike other religions, Hinduism refuses to sanction the monopoly of one God, or one Scripture as the only way to salvation.

• Hinduism is the eternal faith, Sanataana Dharma, or the universal law by which all humans are governed.

• Hindus believe that the soul takes birth in a physical body, dies, gets reborn, until it has attained Perfect Divinity.

• Hindus believe that one can cleanse oneself from karmas through yoga practices, such as pranayama, meditation or asanas.

• One can be a Christian, a Muslim, a Jew, or from any other religion and still practice Hinduism.


In that sense, I consider myself a Hindu

"