Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Carrying widowed mother, he is modern day Shravan Kumar

  • tags: no_tag

    • Lucknow
    • Balancing his mother and his few worldly possessions, a youth in Uttar Pradesh has set out on a pilgrimage just like Shravan Kumar of Indian epic Ramayana who carried his parents in two baskets slung across his shoulder.
      Virendra Kumar Verma, 21, a resident of the Chandpur village in Sitapur district, says he wants to fulfil his mother’s wish by taking her on the pilgrimage to the Hindu holy city of Haridwar in Uttarakhand and is making the journey on foot as he has no money.
    • “I am doing nothing extraordinary. It’s my responsibility as my mother wants to visit Haridwar before leaving the world,” Kumar said.
    • “My mother had plans to visit Haridwar along with my father Jagdeesh Prasad, who died of protracted illness around two months back. He was suffering from renal problems. As I had exhausted all my resources on his treatment, I had no option other than carrying my mother on my shoulders to fulfil her wishes,” added Kumar, who is a farmer.